Monday, September 4, 2006

Beets of Gigantic Proportions



So it's September now and the garden is full of bountiful fruits and vegetables for most people but for me mostly all I've got is a garden full of mosterous beets. Beets that can only be explained as oversized or unusually large. It's funny because if you would have asked me 2 years ago if I liked beets, I would have said...NO, I would rather eat dirt and rub jalapenos in my eyes (which both I have experienced and did not enjoy) Then I tried my mother in law's beet borsht. It was delicious...There is just something so tangy about it. Since then I have not turned down a beet. This spring when I went to plant my tiny city size garden and I planted a row of beets thinking that maybe I could try to make beet borsht. Little did I know it takes very little amount of beets to make beet borsht and they grow to rather large proportions. So Saturday I decided to try to make some. I picked 4 beets thinking that would make a big but not TOO large pot of soup. An hour later I found myself searching my cupboard for more containers to fill with my now even more bountiful beet borsht. I ended up with 10 yogurt containers full so I froze it and still had enough to fill a soup pot. So the moral of my story is if you plan to plant something in your garden make sure that you are prepared to harvest and use the produce, because I now find myself with a rather large row of beets and very little freezer space left. So if you live close by I'll probably be dropping some off and if you live far away expect them in the mail.

P.S. Notice the size comparison between my head and that beet. Or the beet and my house...

3 comments:

*kim* said...

Hey buddy!!!

I never knew you had a blog! I found it off of Jason's links list. I'm on there too.

Crazy beet story by the way...my family has similiar experiences with both cucmbers and zuccinis.

See you at school tomorrow!!!

Jason said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jason said...

Hey Erin! I hope you don't mind, I linked your blog to mine. I heard that you're going to school with someone I know...that's sweet! I hope all is well there for you and Dan. Talk to you later.